This week at camp will be devoted to one of California's unique and exquisite treasures: the redwood forest. Through a series of exciting lessons, we will learn about the majestic trees that grace these forests and the special conditions that make this one of the few places in the world where these redwood giants grow. We will also explore the other fascinating plant and animal inhabitants of the redwood forest, including the salamanders, banana slugs, owls, ferns, fungus and more. On Wednesday we will take a bus trip to a redwood forest. In addition to studying the redwood forest, we'll do fun, creative art projects, play outdoors, create Lego structures, and watch science movies.
- Learn about the flora and fauna of the redwood forest and make a magnetic forest scene.
- Test your friend's knowledge of the redwood forest with an electric matching game that you make yourself.
- Make a sun print of your favorite redwood forest leaves and ferns.
- Construct a Nature Detective Forest Hiking Pouch to hold your sketch pad, forest identification cards and your bug observation vial.
- Build a wooden plant press to preserve forest flowers and ferns.
- Hop on a bus to take a trip to a nearby redwood forest.
- Create a redwood tree life cycle wheel.
- Build a redwood forest bingo game.
- And more!
Campers ages 5-11, CITs ages 11-15
April 14 - 18, 2014 in Oakland
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
$95/day (daily attendance is fine)
$85/day (3 or more days)
A $25 administrative fee will be charged for cancellations before March 22, 2014.
No refunds after March 22, 2014.
Lake Merritt United Methodist Church
1255 First Ave. Oakland, CA
(Click here for directions)
Click here to register