This week at camp will be devoted to the study of streams. Through an exciting series of lessons and a field trip, we will explore stream ecosystems and the creatures and plants that make streams so fascinating. On Wednesday we will take abus trip to explore a stream. In addition to studying stream life, we'll do fun, creative art projects, play outdoors, create Lego structures and watch science movies.
- Create and take home your own mini-zoo with a tiny pond snail, a planaria, algae and bizarre looking protozoans (we'll explore the tiniest creatures under a microscope).
- Design an electric matching game to learn about stream nymphs and their adult insect forms.
- Build a nature camera and develop solar prints of stream plants.
- Make stream identification cards and become a naturalist.
- Take a field trip on a bus to investigate a real stream (Wednesday).
- Fish out fascinating stream creatures for a closer look.
- Go on a hike to discover the plants and animals living near streams.
- Design a stream food chain mobile to learn who eats what.
- Build a better boat to float down a stream.
- Make a crawdad (crayfish) fishing pole.
- Construct a model caddisfly cave and learn how these fascinating creatures use stones as camouflage.
- And more!
Campers ages 5-11, CITs ages 11-15
April 6 - 10, 2015 in Oakland
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
$95/day (daily attendance is fine)
$85/day (3 or more days)
A $25 administrative fee will be charged for cancellations before March 14, 2015. No refunds after March 14, 2015.
Lake Merritt United Methodist Church
1255 First Ave. Oakland, CA
(Click here for directions)
Click here to register